Report an Outage
When the power goes out, we expect it to be restored quickly and knowing what to do can make a big difference in how soon your power is restored.
If your power goes out:
- Check your breaker box or fuse panel. Reset breakers or replace fuses.
- Check the main disconnect breaker at the meter base. Reset the breaker by turning it off then back on.
- If possible, check to see if neighbors have power. This information can help us determine whether the problem is an individual or a line outage.
- Check display on meter. If the meter is flashing or has a scrolling screen, the meter has power and the outage is more likely to be on the member's side. Please note: If the outage is found to be on the member’s side, a trip charge may be assessed.
- If all breakers or fuses are on but the power is off, you should report your outage.
- To report an outage, you will need your account number.
- How to report an outage:
- Online using our Outage Report System
- During Business Hours Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m 641-932-7126 or 800-475-1702
- After Hours Emergency Number 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. plus weekends 641-932-7126 or 800-475-1702
- Once you have reported the outage, please be patient.
- Turn off all major appliances, including your furnace and air conditioner(s). Once power has been restored, wait a few minutes before turning them on again.
Please note, after normal business hours and on weekends, you will reach our dispatch service from Northeast Missouri Power and they will dispatch a crew as soon as possible.
During times of increased call volume your call may be forwarded to our automated voice system where you will have the opportunity to leave a message for our dispatchers.
When a major storm occurs, Chariton Valley Electric will report outage information to the Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives. They maintain a statewide outage map database by county that is updated every 15 minutes. To view this outage information go to http://outages.iowarec.org/.